Thursday, November 27, 2008

A brief Thanksgiving message

This being a holiday, I don't have the time to do a full blog posting, so I'll just be putting up a brief item that I've written beforehand.

Thanksgiving is historically based on the day we give thanks for the bountiful harvest, so that got me to thinking about some of the farm harvests in classic movies. I've already posted on Our Daily Bread, a very interesting movie that's on DVD.

Another really interesting movie is Aleksandr Dovzhenko's 1930 silent Earth, about a Ukrainian collective farm that gets its first tractor. Unfortunately for Dovzhenko, his work was being used in furtherance of a policy that resulted in the deaths of millions through famine. This movie is also available on DVD,

I would like to have recommended Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, as well, in which Edward G. Robinson plays a Norwegian immigrant farmer, but it's not on DVD.

No comments: