Saturday, September 17, 2011

Underwhelming

On Wednesday, I mentioned the TCM premier of The Story of Temple Drake. It was an interesting movie, but I have to admit that everything I'd heard about it led me to believe that it was going to be more sordid than it turns out to be. In fact, after watching it, I found myself thinking about the earlier Safe in Hell, which has a lot of similar themes. This isn't to say that The Story of Temple Drake isn't a good movie. I really enjoyed Safe in Hell, and as such liked Temple Drake too.

I can't really say the same for the Carry On movies that aired on TCM last night. I had never seen any of them, either, but had heard about the broad humor and the copious use of double entendres. Instead, I got a watered-down version of something like Are You Being Served?, at least as far as the least-common-denominator comedy goes. I suppose these are one of those things like all those beach movies of the early 1960s here in America. Not parrticularly good, but there are a lot of people who remember them with a fond sense of nostalgia.

No comments: