Friday, December 16, 2011

By request

I was just looking through my site stats to have a little fun with the searches. This time, somewhat surprisingly, Gus Visser didn't show up. The Dionne quintuplets still do, on the other hand. That having been said, there were a few that surprised me.

First up is the person who was looking for "Lucille Ball pin ups". Now, Lucille Ball is underrated in the looks department, or at least underrated in what the studios' makeup departments could do for her. (That, and the fact that more people probably remember her from her TV shows, by which time she was a good deal older.) I wrote much of the above when I recommended Ball in Du Barry Was a Lady back in July 2008; that is also the movie from which the photo at left is taken. Anyhow, I decided to do a bit of research, and it turns out that Lucille Ball did do some posing that could be considered a pin-up, as evidenced by this 1945 shot from the Army's Yank magazine.

Another search was rather more bizarre: somebody thought they could find "Busty old lady pics" on my blog. After a bit of thought, however, I immediately realized what movie I could mention to satisfy this reader's search: 85-year-old Mae West in Sextette, her final movie. To be honest, I've never seen Sextette, but I've read some about it. West was going senile by the time she made this movie, but still thought she could make movies with lots of hot young men. And so she made one that is apparently a cult classic. Here's a scene with her and a future James Bond, if you want to see just how frightening the movie looks:

No comments: