Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Thin Man movies

I've mentoined the Thin Man series a number of times in passing, although I'm not certain whether I've done a full post on any of them. (You can blame Blogger's lousy search function in part.) This being the fourth week of William Powell's turn as TCM Star of the Month, TCM is showing all six Thin Man movies back to back, in the order in which they were made.

The first of them, the original 1934 The Thin Man, which kicks off the night at 8:00 PM, is the best of the movies. I also have a soft spot in my heart for the second of them, After the Thin Man, which comes on at 9:45 PM. As I've mentioned before, the movie has Elissa Landi in the cast as the Charles' cousin, and she's got a local connection. In that July 2010 post, I also mentioned the presence of James Stewart in the cast, and he does quite a good job.

As for another future star, I mentioned Donna Reed in Shadow of the Thin Man, airing overnight at 1:45 AM

I personally think the series went downhill a bit once Nick and Nora had a kid, but what are you going to do?

No comments: