Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Susan Tyrrell, 1945-2012

It was only today that I read of the death of actress Susan Tyrrell over the weekend at the age of 67. If I had seen the news yesterday, I would certainly have mentioned it when I posted that TCM Guest Programmer Ellen Barkin had selected Tyrrell's Oscar-nominated role in Fat City as one of her four movies. Looking through her film credits, the other two movies that jump out at me are Cry-Baby where she played opposite Johnny Depp; and Big-Top Pee-Wee.

It seems kind of morbid to be looking for obituaries. To be honest, I look at Wikipedia's obituary page each day to see if any famous names are on it, or at least names that would be recognizable to classic movie fans. The one problem with the way Wikipedia organizes the list is if somebody dies and the death is only announced a day or two later. The name is likely to show up on the appropriate date of death, but by that time there are already a bunch of people at the top of the page who died after that. So somebody like Tyrrell would be easy to miss.

No comments: