Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thank you again, TCM Programmer!

You've probably heard all the stuff about how some Mayan calendar cycle ends tomorrow, which led to the mistaken belief that the universe is going to end tomorrow. TCM has decided to get into the action by showing a bunch of movies set in post-apocolyptic places of various sorts. I've recommended Panic in Year Zero! before; that's airing at 4:00 PM. When I blogged about it back in April 2008, I did so pointing out that it's on DVD, but TCM doesn't list it as available. So presumably, it's another one of those DVD's that's gone out of print.

At the beginning of this year, I mentioned Vincent Price's The Last Man on Earth, which you can see at 10:30 AM. I very briefly mentioned The World, the Flesh, and the Devil (6:00 PM before), on the grounds that it shouldn't be confused with Greta Garbo's Flesh and the Devil which is a completely different movie: Harry Belafonte survives a nuclear attack only to find that just one other person (Inger Stevens) survives it. Well actually, two other people: Mel Ferrer shows up halfway through to complicate things. Not great but enjoyable enough.

I like it, though, when TCM comes up with programming ideas like this, that are of a sort that I'd think about doing when I'm feeling evil.

No comments: