Monday, January 14, 2013

Two more old posts

TCM is not marking the birthday of actress Susan Hayward any time soon. Oh, they're honoring her all right, but her birthday is actually on June 30, if both Wikipedia and IMDb are to be believed. TCM is running a bunch of Susan Hayward movies tomorrow for no particularly obvious reason, although I should add that saying this doesn't imply that I've got anything against Hayward. Hayward's day of movies kicks off with Girls on Probation, a movie that I gave half a post to back in March 2009 when Ronald Reagan was TCM's Star of the Month. This is one of Hayward's first screen credits, and she's got a small role as the young woman who owned the dress that was at the cleaners when Jane Bryan's "friend" Sheila Bromley "borrowed" it for Bryan to wear. Girls on Probation is something I would consider one of those enormously fun late-1930s Warner Bros. B movies, even if it's not that great.

But before the Susan Hayward movies, TCM is running another installment in its irregular Art of Collaboration series. This documentary focuses on director Richard Zemeckis, and his frequent cinematographer Don Burgess. It's airing at 8:00 PM with a repeat at 11:30 PM for those on the west coast. In between, TCM is showing What Lies Beneath at 9:00 PM. Every time I see one of these AFI-branded shows on TCM, I find myself wondering who's getting what in return. I thought about writing a post about that today, but I also thought I might have done so earlier. Sure enough, there's just such a post from May 2012. I have to admit that I haven't actually watched any of these Art of Collaboration programs, so I can't comment on how good they are or aren't.

No comments: