Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Briefs for August 26, 2014

TCM is running the movie Arabesque tonight at midnight as part of the day-long salute to Sophia Loren. It's one of those movies that I first saw years ago. Presumably I saw it on TCM and not the Fox Movie Channel since it was released by Universal, but at any rate I know it's been years since I've seen it since this month's schedule is the only one of the monthly schedules I've got that it shows up on, and I've got all the monthly schedules going back to July, 2007. It's one of those movies of a genre, the glamorous spy movie, that was popular back in the 1960s. But it's been so long since I saw it that these movies begin to blur together and I can't really do a full-length post on the movie.

Arabasque, at least, is available from the TCM Shop. There are a couple of movies in tomorrow's Edmond O'Brien day that I've blogged about before that don't seem to be on DVD, so tomorrow would be a good chance to catch up with them. First is A Cry in the Night tomorrow at 9:30 AM, which has O'Brien as a police detective whose daughter (Natalie Wood) gets kidnapped by Raymond Burr.

The other one is The Last Voyage at 2:30 PM, an early disaster movie about the sinking of a ship and everybody trying to get off in difficult circumstances. O'Brien only has a smaller role as the ship's second officer; the star is Robert Stack. Both of these O'Brien movies are well worth a watch if you didn't get to see them when I blogged about them.

No comments: