Saturday, November 8, 2014

So that's where the song came from

TCM is running Shall We Dance tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM. I have to admit that I haven't seen the movie before, not being the biggest fan of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers formula. It's nothing against Astaire, and certainly not Rogers, who went on to some darn good things when she worked without Astaire. It's more that the scripts for the movies I've seen aren't really my thing, never mind the musical dance numbers. I think I commented before when I blogged about The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle that one of the things that makes this different -- and for me preferable to something like Top Hat -- is the plot that's more realistic, and not only because it was based on a true story.

Anyhow, Shall We Dance is famous for one of the songs in the movie, "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off". That's the one with the lines,

You say "To-MAY-to", I say "To-MAH-to"
Let's call the whole thing off


It goes on like that for several minutes, as somebody posted to Youtube:



(Actually, several somebodies have posted this number to Youtube, unsurprisingly.)

No comments: