Thursday, May 28, 2015

An RKO Screenliner I hadn't heard about before

TCM is running a pair of those RKO Screenliner shorts overnight. One of them I've seen before; the other is new to me.

First up is the familiar one, We Never Sleep, at 4:05 AM, or following The Time Machine (2:15 AM, 103 min). This one looks at the Pinkerton detective agency as it did its work back in the 1950s. There's some vintage stuff here, I suppose, but there are more interesting entries in the series.

As for the one I haven't seen, it's Golden Glamour, at 5:37 AM, or after World Without End (4:15 AM, 81 min). Apparently it's a look at the history and use of gold, but as I said I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on it. That having been said, it's a subject that to me doesn't seem like it would be all that interesting in the sense of looking back 60 years and seeing how the people of the day approached the topic. With the Pinkertons, you can imagine how detective work has changed since the 1950s. Ditto all those Traveltalks shorts where it's fun to see how the place has changed since back in the day.

As always, though, watch for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

No comments: