Monday, June 8, 2015

Out of print update: June 8, 2015

Tonight's lineup on TCM is a night of "WWII Thrillers", although I'd argue at least one of them isn't quite a thriller. I've recommended most of the films before, but the TCM schedule implies that a couple of them are either out of print, or never received a DVD release in the first place.

The first of the out-of-print films is Hangmen Also Die, airing at 10:00 PM. As I mentioned when I blogged about this one back in February 2010, it tells the story of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the Nazi governor of the Czech lands. One thing I haven't mentioned before is that the Nazi reprisals after his assassination, which consisted in part in killing all the adult male inhabitants of a small village called Lidice, led to the free Czechs exiled in the UK to produce a movie called The Silent Village:



Later, at 2:30 AM, you have the opportunity to catch I See a Dark Stranger. A very entertaining movie Deborah Kerr wanting to engage in terrorism for the IRA, but getting roped into fighting Nazis by British army officer Trevor Howard. I probably should revise and extend my remarks on this one at some point

The night ends with Secret Mission at 4:30 AM, a movie that is also not on DVD but that I can't comment on since it's one I have to admit to never having seen before. In fact, I don't think I'd heard of it before seeing it on tonight's schedule.

No comments: