Friday, March 4, 2016

TCM Star of the Month March 2015: Merle Oberon


Merle Oberon as Cathy in Wuthering Heights (1939)

Once again with 31 Days of Oscar over, we get back into the regular TCM programming features, such as the Star of the Month. This month's star is Merle Oberon, and her films will be showing on Fridays in prime time. Oberon, who was born in British India and had an interesting early life story, to say the least, first appeared on film in the early 1930s, with her role as Anne Boleyn in The Private Life of Henry VIII (early tomorrow morning at 4:30 AM, or overnight if you're out on the west coast) being, I think, a sort of breakout role for her.

Probably her best-known role is as Cathy opposite Laurence Olivier and David Niven in Wuthering Heights (9:30 PM next Friday), a movie that I really don't care for, in part because Oberon really overdoes the death scene at the end. At least, I found myself laughing at how silly it was. But then, I think it's not a story I particularly care for, never mind how well acted it might be.

No comments: