Monday, August 8, 2016

Briefs for August 8-9, 2016

Among the movies I watched over the weekend, only one of them, Running on Empty, seems to be in print on DVD, so I'll probably be getting to a full-length post on the movie sometime later this week.

A movie showing up again on FXM Retro after an absence is Beloved Infidel, which for some reason I thought I had done a full-length post on. You can catch it tomorrow at 3:30 AM and 12:55 PM. The movie is a fictionalization of the romance between writer F. Scott Fitzgerald when he was doing movie screenplays, and Hollywood gossip columnist Sheilah Graham.

Tomorrow on TCM, there's going to be a full day of Tim Holt movies as part of Summer Under the Stars. I remember him from Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but TCM is spending all morning and afternoon with the B westerns that made up the bulk of Holt's career, and about which I have to admit not knowing all that much.

Last week when I blogged about Fay Wray's day, I mentioned a bus-themed movie that I was convinced wasn't the same one that TCM was showing. It turns out the movie I was thinking of is one called Busses Roar, which was indeed made over at Warner Bros. and deals with a bus line that gets involved in foiling some sabotage in the early days of World War II. Busses Roar has a supporting role from a very young Eleanor Parker at the beginning of her career. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available on DVD, and it's the sort of movie that TCM shows very infrequently.

No comments: