Thursday, October 27, 2016

Meanwhile, back on TCM....

TCM will be spending Friday morning and afternoon showing some of the movies of William Gargan. I don't know much about him, but apparently he wrote an autobiography that sounds really interesting. And only four bucks. I may have to get myself a copy.

Anyhow, I've blogged about a couple of the movies that are showing up; most of the lineup is filled with relatively lesser-known movies. If I had to guess, I think I'd say Cheers for Miss Bishop at 3:15 PM is the best-known. But for the two I've blogged about there's:

Aggie Appleby, Maker of Men at 7:00 AM. Gargan plays Aggie's first boyfriend, who gets sent up the river only to return and find Aggie with a new boyfriend, which of course is a problem.

Then at 10:45 AM there's British Agent, which stars Leslie Howard as the British Consul in the early days of the Soviet Union who meets Lenin's personal secretary (Kay Francis). Gargan plays, if memory serves, an American diplomat. I think he's a diplomat; he might be a reporter. I haven't seen the movie since I blogged about it back in 2011, and I didn't think to mention Gargan in that post.

No comments: