Friday, May 11, 2018

Briefs for May 11-12, 2018

I was going to watch With Byrd at the South Pole this week and do a post on it, since it aired the other day as part of a day of movies set in the Arctic or Antarctic. However, it turns out that it's not in print on DVD. Amazon implies that Milestone released a DVD ages ago but that it's unavailable; the TCM shop don't have anything. Hence why you're getting another "briefs" post.

I've never heard of Hanover Street, airing tonight at 10:00 PM on TCM as part of a night of movies with Leslie-Ann Down. Ditto the two Japanese movies airing in TCM Underground. It never ceases to amaze me how many movies are still new to me.

Anne V. Coates, a film editor who won an Oscar for her work editing Lawrence of Arabia, died on Tuesday at the age of 92. I think one of the reasons editors don't get the recognition that deserve is that you don't notice the editing unless it's particularly bad for the most part.

No comments: